US: E-Cigarette Catches Fire During Flight

American Airlines says a passenger's e-cigarette caused a small fire on a flight from Las Vegas to Chicago's O'Hare International Airport.

American Airlines spokeswoman Leslie Scott says the e-cigarette's battery overheated shortly after Flight 168 landed Friday night. Scott says flight attendants stamped out the fire.

No one was injured. The 138 passengers and crew of six taxie to a gate.

The U.S. Transportation Department has banned e-cigarettes from checked bags because of the potential for them to catch fire. Passengers may put thn in carry-on bags, but cannot use them aboard planes.

Scott says the incident was reported to the Federal Aviation Administration, which tracks such events.   Enditem

btnNext: ".a_l_1", btnPrev: ".a_r_1", visible: 1, scroll: 1, auto: 3000, speed: 600 }); $(".Case3").jCarouselLite({ btnNext: ".a_l_2", btnPrev: ".a_r_2", visible: 1, scroll: 1, auto: 3000, speed: 600 }); $(".hv").hover(function () { $(".hv").css("color", "#f43d1e") }, function () { $(".hv").css("color", "#333") }); })